Moar world selecting enhancements

The world selector is now finally something to be proud of. There is a smooth camera animation when the world is selected and something that I’m relatively happy with for navigating what levels to play. There will be some added touches to it for improvement, but it’s good now.

Next I want to finish up some of the user input logic that I was writing to handle swipes. Being a New Yorker, I’ve noticed most people can’t dual wield their phones while hanging on to dear life in the trains or the buses. So I figured the game play has to be intuitive but also leverage as much flexibility and dexterity from one hand.

It’s now almost the end of 2012 and though I was hoping to be further along, I can’t complain about how many blessings I have as well. Hopefully we will see this as a launched product in 2013 the fan base of Ninjacrab will grow larger than my close friends and loved ones 🙂

Partnering up and adding new features

Well, I’ve finally found someone who seems to be as passionate as I am to work on Conflicademia!

He’s already added his first feature, an image extension to the dialog to depict the narrator and enthusiastically moving on.

I’ve made a few more enhancements to the level selector. I finally got my idea on how it should flow and function. I’m just going to polish it a bit more and then we can make headway with more of the story.

We also had a pretty awesome brainstorming session with some ideas on what might make it more appealing to players but at the same time, still release in some reasonable time frame.

All in all, I’m pretty excited! Oh, I also plan on adding a forum to the site for future collaboration.

Input handling and world selecting!

Logic for handling taps and also using mouse clicks for debugging on my desktop are complete. I also tweaked the code to move from the main menu to the world selector to the scene.

It’s crude and doesn’t handle various inputs, but it’s enough to get the point across and test that the input manager is working correctly.

I did remove the Genesis model from Daz tool and sadly that did not improve load times. Though it significantly improves render time, my problem is that I think users will be really put off with 10 second load times between scenes… not sure what is causing the lag.

I’m going to try to remove the large file sized images to see if that fixes it, but just seems odd.

Breaking and Raycasting!

So I’m trying to make progress on my level selector and now I need the user input to select the various worlds to propagate the event to pick a level. So I found various examples of how to transfer the camera point to a 3d Ray, then to do the Raycasting in which it should return whether the ray collided with anything. However, I’m getting nada… and as I’m typing this I just realized I don’t have a collider on the target object.

Yup that was totally it!!! Wasted a good two hours mucking around with it. Maybe if I started to blog this earlier I would have figured it out earlier.

I also managed to break my backdrop as I was trying to optimize the game loading time. 15-17 seconds is just too much. I modified all the textures to explicitly be 16bit and next I’m going to try to find a lower poly model to use for the first boss, since the model itself eats up a meg of resources.

Until the next crab time!

UV

So while I’m super pumped on game development I decided to start working on the level selector, from which you could select planets to travel to and from.

I figured I would need to display some sort of textured sphere, have a mechanism that lets you select the planet you want to go to and implement some rule engine on whether or not you can get to one place.

So, things I need to do to make it happen!

1. Draw a textured sphere
2. Draw lines to connecting planets
3. Implement camera logic to float from one planet to another
4. Implement logic on selectable planets
5. Implement logic on input to invoke game levels
6. Implement logic on game levels to return to selectable planets scene again
7. Implement menu navigation to quit the game/options/resume

So I started with generating a sphere in blender, importing it and wasting the next 3 hours trying to get Unity to texture it. I followed about 20 different google posts and various youtube videos where the exact steps seem to work.

Sadly, I was not aware of this UV mapping thing. Apparently creating blender file with just a sphere won’t have any UV mappings so I won’t be able to texture it and I’ll go partially insane on the internet.

Shortly after, I found a component in the asset store that had a bunch of planets and something that I could potentially plagiarize. From there I discovered Unity had default sphere meshes with UV mappings, the exact same texture/material worked and sadly it is now time for bed for this old geezer.

Post Hurricane

It’s been a long while since I’ve updated. Hurricane Sandy came by and really did a number on the area that I live in. Even with that in mind, I have so many fortunate circumstances that while there were a lot of delays, my family and I are safe.

So first update is that Unity 4.0 is officially out. Oddly I had to make a few tweaks before everything would work as it did previously. I’m not 100% sure this build will work as it requires a new web player plug-in and I don’t have my laptop next to validate. However, it’s a bit late for my old geezery self, so I’ll check tomorrow.

The build on the phone is still slightly disappointing as the load times on it are longer than 15-20 seconds.

Regardless, I hope that I can get some stream back into getting my first shooter out there.