Well since Random coding didn’t happen, I decided to move to another hobby project which was creating an Android activity that would connect to Facebook, get me an identity so that I could use it to handle Authentication for Conflicademia. I don’t personally care about managing accounts and I was thinking of some other distraction from actual game content. Regardless, it was finally a success and I think my next personal coding session will go to the game again.
Note to others, the instructions provided by Facebook for getting started with Android Studio had a number of hurdles to overcome.
One with Gradle, which as far as I can tell is something like Maven or MsBuild with a Nuget attachment. I should have documented everything that I did to make it work, but I didn’t. Those of you trying to follow the examples and giving up. Sorry for the documentation fail.
The other issue was the instructions for generating the “Key Hash” with OpenSSL. I kept getting an error stating “remote app id does not match stored id”. So I did a little bit of Googling and came across the following link.
Regenerated the keyhash from the code sample, replaced it on the app configuration in Facebook and viola. It all worked
With that, I think tonight was generally satisfactory in terms of hobby productivity.